A Great Smile At Any Age
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Malocclusion or bad bite - When teeth don't fit together properly, they can contribute to abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is cause by crooked teeth. Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed, can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth - Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence - Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
Treatment Options for adults
For adults whose thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment, we offer clear plastic alignments, which some ask by name, Invisalign.
A person’s self-esteem greatly improves as orthodontic treatment brings teeth, lips, and face into proportion. In this way, orthodontic treatment can benefit social and career success, as well as improve a person’s general attitude toward life. People with beautiful smiles have a lot to be happy about!