The Best Time to Begin Treatment
A smile can be enhanced at any age, but for your child, there is an optimal time to begin treatment.
Early Orthodontic Evaluation
Dr. Mihalik follows The American Association of Orthodontists’ recommendation that every child should have an orthodontic evaluation no later than age seven or at the first sign of orthodontic problems. At this early age, orthodontic treatment may not be necessary, but Dr. Mihalik will monitor your child's dental growth and development to determine the best time to begin treatment. If interceptive treatment is necessary, CC Braces is pleased to offer Invisalign® First, which is a new treatment method with an aligner specifically designed for our young patients 6-10 years old. The aligners are especially designed for developing arch form and creating space for erupting teeth.
The Optimal Age of Seven
The reason age seven is considered the best time for a child’s first orthodontic examination is that the first adult molars have erupted, establishing the back bite. This is the ideal time for Dr. Mihalik to evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships.
The Advantage of Early Treatment
The advantages of early treatment include:
- Influencing jaw growth in a positive manner
- Balancing the width of the dental arches
- Improving eruption patterns
- Creating space for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry through jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preventing unfavorable growth and uneven tooth wear
- Preserving space for un-erupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth extraction
- Reducing treatment time in braces
- Making teeth easier to keep clean, which will help prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- Correcting harmful oral habits, such as tongue-thrusting habits
- Improving speech impediments
- Simplifying and/or shortening later treatment time
When you are ready to create your healthy, beautiful smile, call or text our office in Corpus Christi at (361) 992-4746 to schedule your no-cost new patient exam and get ready to start smiling. We look forward to meeting you! To schedule a new patient appointment, click HERE.